Rapture

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Rapture

Forum dedicated to the community on the Rapture SMP Minecraft server.

+8
Bondsy
Queepo
FatalxMistake
XScopeX
5730688B73F8190B
Darksaga
ticktack
Tariss
12 posters

The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI]

Poll

How should the RRI be built?

[ 7 ]
    The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI] - Page 2 Bar_left70%The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI] - Page 2 Bar_right [70%] 
    [ 3 ]
    The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI] - Page 2 Bar_left30%The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI] - Page 2 Bar_right [30%] 

Total Votes: 10
    XScopeX
    XScopeX
    Man

The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI] - Page 2 Empty Re: The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI]

Post  XScopeX Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:36 am

Awesome, thanks Queepo.
    Autaall
    Slave

The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI] - Page 2 Empty Re: The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI]

Post  Autaall Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 am

I want to make a complex station at my cavern that will have multiple destinations possible, however I don't know how many destinations there will be. I've designed two track switchers, one that is smaller and more elegant but has a max of four destinations and a multi-floor monstrosity that can have more than four.

How many destinations do you think there will be, lots in all directions or only a few to major places. I need to know as soon as possible so I can start building! I'm also happy with mining and construction of the connections between stations if you need help with that.
    Tariss
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:41 am

(Note: I am at school right now, so my mind's a little scattered XD)

@Nbord: Now this is the kind of feedback I need :D

As embarrassing as it is to admit, I hadn't even thought about whether or not it would be underground. A bedrock-level railway would certainly save space aboveground, and needed materials could be found even while we dig the tunnels. On the downside, the view would be incredibly boring.

If it was to be underground, I imagine we would use the 'elevator' function to raise and lower the carts without having to use incredibly long ramps etc.

As for the stations, I'm hopeless when it comes to designing aesthetically-pleasing buildings, so I was rather hoping other people could design them... and the placement/direction of the tracks will change dramatically depending on where the station is. I would suggest just building a general station and you can make edits as we get some more information together. It can be any size really, since it's only a prototype.

@Scope: Awesome :) On an unrelated note, I was exploring your city the other day and I loved the church!

@Quee: Thank you so much :D By any chance, would you also be able to provide me with a current cartograph so I can begin marking all of the stops?

@Autall: I believe that the main station will only branch out in a few directions. Upon reaching more densely populated areas, the stations there will branch off several more times, creating a kind of 'tree' effect. Unfortunately, at this moment, I don't have a definite on how many stops there will be.
    FatalxMistake
    FatalxMistake
    Man

Location : NOT in my super sercet hidy hole under my house where i keep my diamonds

Post  FatalxMistake Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:10 pm

What i think would be cool, is if each person who has a reasonable large/decent house built their own ministation under/near their house. Then have that station be a branch off to other stations nearby. Just a thought :p
    Tariss
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:36 pm

It would certainly be easier if most private stations were built by the land's owner, yes.
    Autaall
    Slave

Post  Autaall Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm not sure if this should go here, but to make lever/button operated switches work for players a setting needs to be changed on the server. According to this you need to set "Intersection prompts" to 1 so it doesn't ask you at every intersection. Intersection prompts will still be available but only if there is a brick block, so it should be ok.
    Tariss
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:41 pm

It'll be fine, it'll be fine :)

Okay guys, I'm going to ask that everyone who wants a station/stop near or on their property please speak up now. I'll begin compiling a list so we have some idea what exactly we're up against.

In other news, I've been practicing (although failing...) the Minecartmania stuff, and it's amazing what it's capable of. This is going to be so cool when it gets going XD

If anyone wants an epic example of a railway, check out Burly's set-up in the spawn.
    FatalxMistake
    FatalxMistake
    Man

Location : NOT in my super sercet hidy hole under my house where i keep my diamonds

Post  FatalxMistake Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:17 pm

ill take a station near my house. for me there will probably be 2-3 directions.

Autaall
    Slave

Post  Autaall Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm making a large one with four entrance/exit terminals and 4 destinations, set up so it's easy to pass through.
    5730688B73F8190B
    Man

Post  5730688B73F8190B Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:46 pm

x

Last edited by Nbord on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
    XScopeX
    XScopeX
    Man

Post  XScopeX Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:40 am

Ill make a station in my city
    Tariss
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:11 am

Okay, added all of you guys to the list. :)
    5730688B73F8190B
    Man

Post  5730688B73F8190B Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:41 pm

x

Last edited by Nbord on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tariss
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Well, it's looking more and more like the railroads WILL be underground. For a definite: yes, they will be.
    5730688B73F8190B
    Man

Post  5730688B73F8190B Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:53 pm

x

Last edited by Nbord on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tariss
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 am

Good idea Nbord! The only problem I have is that an underground railway would be incredibly boring view-wise...
    FatalxMistake
    FatalxMistake
    Man

Post  FatalxMistake Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:06 am

Tariss wrote:Good idea Nbord! The only problem I have is that an underground railway would be incredibly boring view-wise...
    agreed
    5730688B73F8190B
    Man

Post  5730688B73F8190B Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 am

x

Last edited by Nbord on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Autaall
    Slave

Post  Autaall Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:29 am

Nbord wrote:
    Tariss wrote:Good idea Nbord! The only problem I have is that an underground railway would be incredibly boring view-wise...

Well, we should have a poll: Under or above ground?

Underground saves space and may be easier to make, but is boring for the rider.

Above ground takes up a lot of space, will be harder to make (hills, mountains, water, etc.) but looks amazing.

Personally, I vote we go underground.

I vote both. Wherever it fits best. Both have equal pros and cons in my opinion, so I believe that we should use both. Correctly made above ground structures don't need to take up too much space.

However, I don't like the idea of going down to near bedrock. I don't want to need teleporters or long spirals to get low enough, only to need to come up later. Just however deep suits the situation, which will most often be nearer to the surface.

Also, It's actually easier to build on the surface because you don't have to dig long tunnels, which is a slow and incredibly boring task. I built a 1000 unit long tunnel on a personal server and that was rather annoying to say the least, and that was only one unit wide. At least on the surface all you need to do is a little terrain alteration/bridge building which is also a lot more interesting.

It comes down to a balance between space, ease of build, ease of use and aesthetics
    Tariss
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Okay, I'll add the poll. Autaall has a point about the spirals etc. and I'm not too keen on how boring the ride would be. On the other hand, I admire the efficiency and save-saving of the underground rail.
    5730688B73F8190B
    Man

Post  5730688B73F8190B Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:49 pm

x

Last edited by Nbord on Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Autaall
    Slave

Post  Autaall Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:37 am

Can there be a 'both' option. I want to use whatever's appropriate to the situation, not one or the other.
    Bondsy
    Bondsy
    Man

Post  Bondsy Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 am

I've completed a closed-circuit station outside my abode.

I'm not sure if it's up to par and it will probably need to be converted a little. But I'm proud.

Just waiting for y'all to lay some track.
    Captnfog
    Captnfog
    Man

Post  Captnfog Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:20 am

REVAMPED! Hurrah! There's an Express train to DepthCity from the end of the purple Spawn road straight to the welcome rock. With the help of Bondsy and Roberts IHR, we have collectively simplified a station design. No longer are there three buttons! Our improved station design utilizes only one simple button! Plus automatic cart ejection at the end of the ride, and cart catchers with brick blocks for people who are dumb and don't read signs... What else....O! A cart is pulled up as soon as one, w/ or w/o a player inside, leaves the station.

If ya wanna see how it works, go to DepthCity, which is under the Eye of Sauron and hard to miss, or to the end of the Purple spawn road. I'd be glad to help anyone with station design/minecart mania.

And I vote above ground, because I love vistas... and trains... and seeing where your going so you can explore and not be lost if the system breaks.
    Tariss
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Yeah, I'm sorry the RRI isn't really going anywhere right now, but you all know I can't get on to MC :(

And awesome Captnfog! Glad that the initiative is still happening XD

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:01 pm