Rapture

Forum dedicated to the community on the Rapture SMP Minecraft server.

Contests! - Which do you want?

Poll

Which event do you want?

[ 3 ]
    25% [25%] 
    [ 3 ]
    25% [25%] 
    [ 3 ]
    25% [25%] 
    [ 3 ]
    25% [25%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 12
    Queepo
    Admin
    Admin

Contests! - Which do you want?

Post  Queepo on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:42 am

I would like to do some contests. Here are some ideas I have, vote on your favorite.

Last edited by Queepo on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Nbord
    Man

Re: Contests! - Which do you want?

Post  Nbord on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:47 am

Music, though only if the music must be auto-played by a machine.
    Bondsy
    Man

Post  Bondsy on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:57 am

not music. nbord would win.
    FatalxMistake
    Man

Location : NOT in my super sercet hidy hole under my house where i keep my diamonds

Post  FatalxMistake on Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 am

I would like to see a mob hunting contest. Maby place some pig spawners in a wooded, fenced off area, then give each player a cetrain amount of arrows and a bow. Then see how many pigs they can kill in 5 minutes or something like that.

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:16 am

Bondsy wrote:not music. nbord would win.

Afraid of a challenge?

It's sad someone would vote against something because they're afraid of the opponent.
    XScopeX
    Man

Post  XScopeX on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 am

They are all kinda generic contests, but I would go for the building one simply because it shows skill in an area anyone is capable of, and I suck with redstone Razz
    xxg1antxx
    Man

Post  xxg1antxx on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 am

i want some mob hunting!!!
    SrslySrs
    Man

Post  SrslySrs on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:15 am

How about an obstacle course? We could time each person and compare them at the end.
    XScopeX
    Man

Post  XScopeX on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:51 am

I would like a contest that actually relates to skill, not something like mob hunting where it is pure luck on how clustered the mobs are. Once again, building contests - We are each given a chest with a certain amount of resources in, we each have a small area of land to build inside, the person to make the best building in 1 hour wins.
    Burly
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Burly on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:44 am

Here's how I envision a building contest going: Each user is given a day or so to build from a chest of materials in a specified area. When the buildings are judged we delete all of them except for the winning one, then we copy and paste it into a hall of fame. Awesome right?
    Contests can also have certain themes and styles such as Gothic or Japanese architecture or only logs and stone, etc.

I'm rigging this vote so that we can have a building contest.
    Queepo
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Queepo on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:58 am

Burly wrote:Here's how I envision a building contest going: Each user is given a day or so to build from a chest of materials in a specified area. When the buildings are judged we delete all of them except for the winning one, then we copy and paste it into a hall of fame. Awesome right?
    Contests can also have certain themes and styles such as Gothic or Japanese architecture or only logs and stone, etc.

Agreed but a music contest can function very similarly.

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Burly wrote:Here's how I envision a building contest going: Each user is given a day or so to build from a chest of materials in a specified area. When the buildings are judged we delete all of them except for the winning one, then we copy and paste it into a hall of fame. Awesome right?

-.-

But ya, I like the Hall of Fame idea.

...problem is...if my music-box is 50x50x50... You're going to need a big hall.
    Burly
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Burly on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:46 pm

Nbord wrote:

-.-

But ya, I like the Hall of Fame idea.

...problem is...if my music-box is 50x50x50... You're going to need a big hall.

Hence the limited area.
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:27 pm

I agree with the building contest idea (plus, it's the only thing I feel I may have any chance at XD)

Could we also take screenshots of the winners and post them here? *shrug*

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:37 pm

Burly wrote:
    Nbord wrote:...problem is...if my music-box is 50x50x50... You're going to need a big hall.

Hence the limited area.

If you limit the area of space available for the song, you're limiting the length (and therefore quality) of the song.

The song I want to do for the contest has near-85 notes, which will cover quite a large area.
    XScopeX
    Man

Post  XScopeX on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 am

Music contest, im not taking part. Building contest is the way to go!

Darksaga
    Man

Post  Darksaga on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:33 am

Nbord wrote:
    Burly wrote:
    Nbord wrote:...problem is...if my music-box is 50x50x50... You're going to need a big hall.

Hence the limited area.

If you limit the area of space available for the song, you're limiting the length (and therefore quality) of the song.

The song I want to do for the contest has near-85 notes, which will cover quite a large area.

I think that a contest should have restrictions (such as the size of the area) because it levels the playing field. Honestly it is not fair to match up an 85 note song to a 12 note song. Restrictions allow for everyone to take part instead of just the elite in a specific category. So I agree with Burly and his limitations on size in contests.
    xxg1antxx
    Man

Post  xxg1antxx on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:15 am

This is the best idea so far
    Queepo
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Queepo on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 am

Nbord wrote:
    Burly wrote:

Hence the limited area.

Protip, underground.

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:39 am

Darksaga wrote:I think that a contest should have restrictions (such as the size of the area) because it levels the playing field. Honestly it is not fair to match up an 85 note song to a 12 note song. Restrictions allow for everyone to take part instead of just the elite in a specific category. So I agree with Burly and his limitations on size in contests.

It only takes very basic redstone knowledge to create a song now (after the inclusion of the diodes) so skill isn't a problem. The only hard part would be delaying the note blocks and tuning them, both of which are a more time-consuming task than a skillful one.

Queepo wrote:Protip, underground.

Doesn't change the area of the contraption....a cube of 40x4040 is a cube of 40x40x40 regardless of its relation to ground level.
    Queepo
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Queepo on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:53 am

Nbord wrote:
    Darksaga wrote:I think that a contest should have restrictions (such as the size of the area) because it levels the playing field. Honestly it is not fair to match up an 85 note song to a 12 note song. Restrictions allow for everyone to take part instead of just the elite in a specific category. So I agree with Burly and his limitations on size in contests.

It only takes very basic redstone knowledge to create a song now (after the inclusion of the diodes) so skill isn't a problem. The only hard part would be delaying the note blocks and tuning them, both of which are a more time-consuming task than a skillful one.

Queepo wrote:Protip, underground.

Doesn't change the area of the contraption....a cube of 40x4040 is a cube of 40x40x40 regardless of its relation to ground level.

We'll figure out contest details when its announced. So far it seems like people are interested which was the main point of this thread.
    CptBeefcake
    Admin
    Admin

Post  CptBeefcake on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:20 pm

It's been decided, the contest will be a mob riding race from point a to b on a predetermined course. obstacles such as mobspawns and hazards will be thrown in to add to the difficulty

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 pm

CptBeefcake wrote:It's been decided, the contest will be a mob riding race from point a to b on a predetermined course. obstacles such as mobspawns and hazards will be thrown in to add to the difficulty

So...."other," in which no one voted. Haha.
    XScopeX
    Man

Post  XScopeX on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am

Building contest, rig it Burly!
    FatalxMistake
    Man

Location : NOT in my super sercet hidy hole under my house where i keep my diamonds

Post  FatalxMistake on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:38 am

XScopeX wrote:Building contest, rig it Burly!
    too late :p
    CptBeefcake wrote:It's been decided, the contest will be a mob riding race from point a to b on a predetermined course. obstacles such as mobspawns and hazards will be thrown in to add to the difficulty

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:21 pm