Rapture

Forum dedicated to the community on the Rapture SMP Minecraft server.

The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI]

Poll

How should the RRI be built?

[ 7 ]
    70% [70%] 
    [ 3 ]
    30% [30%] 

Total Votes: 10
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Current Status: Prototype stations are being trialled.

What is it?: Do you hate not being able to find your way around the vast Rapture landscape? Do you wander aimlessly, hoping in vain to find a town or city to join? Do you simply wish that you could easily find the wonders of Rapture without having to walk for miles on end?

... Your day has come! Gather ye all who have blisters on their feet from walking across vast deserts and climbing massive mountains! The railway will free you from your burdens! This massive overground and underground railway will stretch across the map, linking up people's homes and cities so you'll never have to wander aimlessly again!

How can I help?: I'm going to need heaps of help here, people. Donations of rails, builders, designs, money... It would be awesome if we could get a massive group working on this together :)

Anything else?: Post your opinions and discuss the RRI below- the more information we have on this kind of venture, the better.

List of Scheduled Stops/Player Stations
    • Autall
    • Spawn (obviously)
    • Tariss
    • XScopeX
    • Nbord
    • FatalXMistake

Please post if you would like a stop/station near your house.

Last edited by Tariss on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:49 pm; edited 5 times in total
    ticktack
    Admin
    Admin

Re: The Rapture Railway Initiative [RRI]

Post  ticktack on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:15 am

im down to help

Darksaga
    Man

Post  Darksaga on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:36 am

Sounds awesome to me. I think what would also be nice is a massive terminal subway station type thing near spawn to link all the railways to.

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 am

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I'd be willing to be a track-layer / material donor Very Happy
    XScopeX
    Man

Post  XScopeX on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:48 am

Sure thing, Ill add to it and make a station near my place too Smile
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:57 am

There's only one problem... apparently this kind of thing causes massive lag. Is this true?
    FatalxMistake
    Man

Location : NOT in my super sercet hidy hole under my house where i keep my diamonds

Post  FatalxMistake on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:41 am

ill help and if you have boosters then yes it will cause massive lag, but no boosters=minimal lag if any
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:57 pm

if you have boosters then yes it will cause massive lag, but no boosters=minimal lag if any

Awesome :D

... but how will it work without boosters...?
    Queepo
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Queepo on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:09 pm

THIS IS A HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT, BOOSTERS MAY BE THE CAUSE OF THE SERVER LAG
    PLEASE DESTROY ANY BOOSTERS YOU HAVE MADE, I WILL INSTALL A PLUGIN THAT DOES THAT WITH LESS LAG AND MORE
    I REPEAT KILL ALL GLITCH BOOSTERS ITS WHY THE SERVER IS LAGGING

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 am

No need for the all caps, quee...just sayin'.

And I assume you're going to install Minecart Mania?
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:07 pm

The caps were needed. End.

Lol.
    Bondsy
    Man

Post  Bondsy on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:44 am

I'd love to donate and help in any way I can.

I have an amazing mountain next to my manor that would be great to put on the rail tour.

The only problem I have is the rails bringing greifers to the nicer homes. Could we possibly get any protection?
    xxg1antxx
    Man

Post  xxg1antxx on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:56 am

Bondsy wrote:I'd love to donate and help in any way I can.

I have an amazing mountain next to my manor that would be great to put on the rail tour.

The only problem I have is the rails bringing greifers to the nicer homes. Could we possibly get any protection?

This.
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:25 pm

I'm aware that this may be a problem :/

I'm waiting to see if Quee can add MinecartMania before continuing. While we wait: anyone have any ideas about what the railway stations should looks like?
    XScopeX
    Man

Post  XScopeX on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:34 am

even better, simply make canals, it is a more efficient way of travelling the world. You don't need tonnes of resources and rivers look nicer than tracks, also you can control the boat and disembark where you like. All that needs to be done is to dig a trench then fill it with water. I am working on a canal that goes from the non donor land to my empire very soon.

Darksaga
    Man

Post  Darksaga on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:38 am

Tariss wrote:

I'm aware that this may be a problem :/

I'm waiting to see if Quee can add MinecartMania before continuing. While we wait: anyone have any ideas about what the railway stations should looks like?

I think having a gigantic central station that connects to all of the other individual stations would be awesome. Similar to Grand Central Station in NYC. We can make it multiple levels to accommodate for the many railways that will be needed. For example the first floor will just be a big plaza with many different stairways down to the actual stations. And you can limit each individual level to like 4-6 stations. Idk I just like the idea of having one big station building to connect everything to.

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:34 am

Yes, the need for a main station (preferably near spawn) is obvious if we're going to continue with this.
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:23 pm

I understand what you mean, XScopeX: but in my opinion boats are too laggy and it's impossible for non-donors to participate in the building (which is really the whole reason I wanted to start this, as a community project).

Okay, we'll have to start the main station soon then since there seems to be plenty of interest. I love the multi-story idea! :D

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Talk to Quee about it, Tar. Get a location for the station first, and settle it with him. We want this to be official.

Oh, and do we have MinecartMania! yet?
    XScopeX
    Man

Post  XScopeX on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:33 am

Indicating that minecarts don't make any lag at all. Also non donors get the Russian peasants job! Digging the trench!

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:49 am

XScopeX wrote:Indicating that minecarts don't make any lag at all. Also non donors get the Russian peasants job! Digging the trench!

They get to dig
    right here
    This hole
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:43 pm

Update:

With the introduction of Minecartmania (thanks Quee!) building can finally begin! Granted, the mod apparently isn't working fully at this moment, but designs for default railway stations can be trialled. If you wish to help with this, there are several things you can do:
    • Design a railway station! Build a prototype anywhere you like and take screenshots to post here- or if I'm online, you can just tell me to come have a look. I must request that the building is NOT made out of excessive amounts of cobblestone or dirt.
    • Read up on Minecartmania using the link Burly has kindly provided us here. The more you know about how it works, the more advice you can supply us when we get stuck.
    • Donate! The initiative is desperately in need of iron for the rails, gold for the boosters and obsidian for the launcher/catchers. All who donate will have their name listed on a wall in the main station. If you wish to donate, contact me in this thread or in-game and we can work it out from there.

I will keep you guys updated on the progress of the RRI as it continues. Thanks for your support so far!

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:36 pm

I'd be happy to donate materials and work on the aesthetics of the stations / line.

For the material donations, just contact me in-game when you need me.

As for designing good-looking stations, I need to first know how exactly this will work. Will the tracks be underground? At, say, bedrock level? This would save a lot of space above ground, though we may run into problems with lava, etc. This design also takes more time to implement, but may prove to be a payoff in the end because of the above-ground space it saves. (Clearing out the underground tunnels for the tracks would be a lot easier with admin intervention, hint hint)

I also need you, Tariss, to give me a basic layout for the stations. I need to know where the in/out-bound tracks are coming from and going to, and I need to know the minimum space requirements before I start designing an aesthetically pleasing station. You can make the first one out of whatever material you want; I will probably be using combinations of smooth half-steps, smooth stone, and torch / glowstone behind glass inserts in the wall for lighting.
    XScopeX
    Man

Post  XScopeX on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:31 am

Already working on linking up my city with rails and roads, when thats done Ill connect it to the rest of the world Very Happy
    Queepo
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Queepo on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:36 am

If you need any boosters feel free to ask, we will give them to you. If you need help with Minecart mania look at the wiki or ask burly.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm