Rapture

Forum dedicated to the community on the Rapture SMP Minecraft server.

The Status of Rapture's Administrative Team (And Recent Events) Discussion

Nbord
    Man

The Status of Rapture's Administrative Team (And Recent Events) Discussion

Post  Nbord on Sat May 21, 2011 2:14 pm

[Edit: Yay for edits.]

The sole purpose of this thread is mature, intelligent discussion of the recent events regarding the administrator / moderator team. Opinions and feedback are welcomed; flaming, unsupported claims and accusations, anger, etc. are not welcome in this thread and will not be tolerated.

If you'd like to prove or disprove something, actually have proof and supportive evidence for your claim. Saying someone abused their powers to spawn high-valued items and sell them for profit is an accusation without proof, which is not what belongs here. Saying the same thing while also posting screenshots / video of the person actually saying they did such a thing is helpful, relevant, wanted, and encouraged.

The Administrators:
    - Queepo
    - Burly
    - Darksaga017
    - ISchoonerI
    - BloodyNightmare
    - CptBeefCake
    - Yeliab_Werdna

The Moderators:
    - ticktack
    - XScopeX
    - Bondsy
    - Nbord
    - DirtyStarfish

----------

The floor is now yours. Post your opinions and discuss.

Last edited by Nbord on Tue May 24, 2011 4:58 am; edited 4 times in total

DirtyStarfish
    Slave

Re: The Status of Rapture's Administrative Team (And Recent Events) Discussion

Post  DirtyStarfish on Sat May 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Hey guys! Thought I would post.

I got made mod last night (night before, depending on timezone), can't remember who did it.
    When I asked why I was told "donor = mod, and trusted = mod".
    The only rules I was told was, don't kick/ban anyone and don't use TNT, which I haven't.

However, my money has gone up. I've been building things in expensive materials to see what they were like e.g. glowstone in houses/castle, and then selling the stuff after because I don't know of a remove command. So apologies for that. I'm sure that can easily be sorted by an admin debiting it. If thats abusing power, then thats all the abusing I think I've done.

Anyway, I haven't been here too long, so I could understand some people not being too happy about it I guess. Although, I haven't broken any rules, I haven't griefed anything, I like to think I've made some nice things, and also I have contributed by paying money to the server. (Which is only $5 a month, but when you have food to buy as well as rent, and bills to pay, the pennies count!)

Someone mentioned the server becoming chillfest. Where, if I'm right, everyone has mod powers (minus kick/ban). If thats why more people are being made mods then personally I don't think that is a problem. However, if this is not the case, then there may be too many mods/admins...

Bondsy
    Man

Post  Bondsy on Sat May 21, 2011 2:28 pm

IMO

The admins are set, they know theirs manners, and though we've had rough patches with a lot of them, they are fair and know what they are doing.

Ticktack has always been a mod. A good mod. The three new ones are questionable, especially Dirty.

Nbord, he's a harsh at times, a lot of times, but he's been on the server forever and hasn't done much wrong.

Me, I know my place. I don't want to step on any toes, I've been on this server for months, and I enjoy the community and want nothing but the best for it.

Dirtystarfish is new. I don't know much about him, I know he is just a new donor and no real history with the server. His position as mod is very questionable, but as far as I can see, besides selling a few things to the shop (which will be fixed), he is being delicate with his responsibilities, and seems to be a reasonable fellow.

The new mods are strange to this server. But I hope everyone can accept it as something new and helpful.

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Sat May 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Here are my opinions:

There is no question in my mind that Queepo, Burly, Darksaga017, ISchoonerI, CptBeefCake, and Yeliab_Werdna should remain as admins; and that ticktack should remain as mod. Yes, there has been drama, fights, mistakes, and disagreements with all of them, but overall, they know what they are doing and definitely deserve their positions.

It is unfair to only promote donors. Some people, for whatever reason, are simply not able to donate, and that should be their choice - it should be, after all, a donation, not a purchase.

As for BloodyNightmare - I have no personal problem with her, but many in the community do. Not my decision, obviously, and I don't have much to say about her.

I'll let the community discuss my position - I am obviously biased. I do want you all to know that I do not abuse my item-spawning power and use it for profit.

Below, I used a "Statement. (Link to proof)" sort of system.
    As for DirtyStarfish, I am not a fan of his promotion for a few reasons:
    1. One of the main reasons he donated was simply to obtain wool color-changing powers (1) (Not a full claim - there were obviously other reasons he donated, such as (1) but I remember this being the main reason)
    2. Quite simply, he is new. (1)
    3. He has given away diamond tools to default users (1) which, as outlined in the Donor Rules Thread, is against the rules and results in a stripped status - or worse. (1)
    4. As he admitted to in the above post (1) he has sold many spawned items, resulting a high balance and much profit (1).
    5. BB History logs have sown that he has broken the rules on at least two occasions - once for digging a 1x1 mine and once for building a 1x1 dirt pillar. I have fixed both incidents, and finding proof of these things would be extremely hard. The only thing I can think of to back me up on this claim is the word of Yeliab_Werdna. He saw and checked the mine and pillar as well, and came to the same result as me - DirtyStarfish had made them.
    For the above reasons, I am not in favor of DirtyStarfish's promotion.

These are, once again, just my thoughts. I tried to provide as much proof for my claims as possible. If any of you have anything to add on to or comment on my findings, fell free to do so.
    FatalxMistake
    Man

Location : NOT in my super sercet hidy hole under my house where i keep my diamonds

Post  FatalxMistake on Sat May 21, 2011 4:05 pm

DirtyStarfish wrote:
    "donor = mod, and trusted = mod".
    If going by the highlighted text, then everyone who has been on the server for a reletivly long time (1 month aproximatly) would be given mod powers, wich i think should not happen. What i think should happen if there is to be any promoting at all it should be of the people who are on often, have been on for at least a month, and who have high trust value i.e no griefing, no getting into huge fights etc.
    and that is my opinion.

DirtyStarfish
    Slave

Post  DirtyStarfish on Sat May 21, 2011 4:08 pm

@Nbord

Thats not what I said at all. Please do not lie to people about me. It's not very nice.
    The wool thing was the last of many reasons I gave you when you asked. The first reason I said was "because when I joined this server people actually gave me the time of day and helped me".

If I had known that you were taking screenshots of my answers to all of your questions, instead of being secretive, I would have been more detailed, and wouldn't have gave vague answers that you have here. Guess I'll have to elaborate for you.

I gave diamond tools to someone that helped work on a project involving multiple people, that had broke long before it was finished. Also, I have never seen this rule in the spawn area or the forum server rules post, and nobody told me of any donor rules after I donated.

1x1 towers I made a few for different reasons, but always removed them. One reason was to access high parts of a structure I was building. Two, so I could see what was around me. I'm fairly sure that I got rid of them all though. I'm interested to know where that was. Guess I must have missed one in my eagerness to explore. Ah well, thanks for fixing that Nbord. Smile

Seeing as Nbord seems so desperate to stay a mod, it makes me question why. Therefore I am not in favor of Nbord's promotion.

-DirtyStarfish

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Sat May 21, 2011 11:14 pm

DirtyStarfish wrote:@Nbord

Thats not what I said at all. Please do not lie to people about me. It's not very nice.
    The wool thing was the last of many reasons I gave you when you asked. The first reason I said was "because when I joined this server people actually gave me the time of day and helped me".

If I had known that you were taking screenshots of my answers to all of your questions, instead of being secretive, I would have been more detailed, and wouldn't have gave vague answers that you have here. Guess I'll have to elaborate for you.

I gave diamond tools to someone that helped work on a project involving multiple people, that had broke long before it was finished. Also, I have never seen this rule in the spawn area or the forum server rules post, and nobody told me of any donor rules after I donated.

1x1 towers I made a few for different reasons, but always removed them. One reason was to access high parts of a structure I was building. Two, so I could see what was around me. I'm fairly sure that I got rid of them all though. I'm interested to know where that was. Guess I must have missed one in my eagerness to explore. Ah well, thanks for fixing that Nbord. Smile

Seeing as Nbord seems so desperate to stay a mod, it makes me question why. Therefore I am not in favor of Nbord's promotion.

-DirtyStarfish

Thanks for clearing some things up.

The wool thing was, as I said above, not a full claim anyway, so it may be disregarded. It is simply your word against mine now, so the argument on this would be pointless.

Once again, you are very new. I don't think it is right to promote someone really new.

Not knowing the Donor rules because no one told you them is understandable - I thought you were already on the forum and in the Donor group. This, if anything, is a fail on the part of the admins. This argument is, as the first, unneeded. Just don't give them away again.

You obviously did not take them down, seeing as I took one down. And anyway....you have /mc now, so use that in stead of pillaring.

You post does not, however, address the fact that you've made a 1x1 mine, which is against the rules. I am unsure how long bb logs last, but I'm assuming not long - so the mine was recent.

As for me being desperate, I am not sure how you've come to this conclusion: As I have said many times in-game, it is up to the admins to decide my status and I would respect their decision whatever it is.

AdvancedNoob
    Man

Post  AdvancedNoob on Sun May 22, 2011 2:53 am

I agree with both dirty and nbord.

nbord. just because you "cleaned up" does not mean you can stay being a mod. A lot of people cleaned up. But you did handle the spawning item part really well

Dirty, you did abuse the "mod" position by selling the items you spawned. and 1x1 mines are ok as long as they fill them up afterward. im not saying that dirty did.

rcsAlex
    Slave

Post  rcsAlex on Sun May 22, 2011 2:59 am

Hey guys. I have been on the server for approximatively 5 or 6 months. I have not donated (due to money being tight) and I have not been too active as of late.

I have no quarlls (sp?) against any of the mods or admins and for the most part I support why there people are mods / admin.

My issue is, the mods / admins now outnumber the "regulars" on the server. As I am not a doner (sp?) at any given point in time I cannot access the server due to the mods / admins getting reserved spots.

IMO there are too many mods and admins, at the newly promoted mods should not be mods, due to just having too many members.
    We have 7 admins and ticktack is a pseudo-admin in my eyes, other than the current admins and TT, there should be no promotions unless someone steps down.

Also this is a build server aka make amazing things.

I believe if a trusted member needs a lot of a low value item for a large project then an admin or mod should help them by spawning some of the item.
    With this i mean basically wood and smooth stone only.
    This solves the problem of promoting a member to mod so that an admin / mod doesn't have to bother with helping them. Also, this makes it so users cannot abuse this and sell all the items for a lot of money.

Maybe adding a /kit smoothstone and a /kit wood would help, and then make the items worth 0 in the shop.

Just my 2 cents

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Sun May 22, 2011 4:55 am

AdvancedNoob wrote:I agree with both dirty and nbord.

nbord. just because you "cleaned up" does not mean you can stay being a mod. A lot of people cleaned up. But you did handle the spawning item part really well

Dirty, you did abuse the "mod" position by selling the items you spawned. and 1x1 mines are ok as long as they fill them up afterward. im not saying that dirty did.

Never said I should remain a moderator because I cleaned up. You were arguing (in-game) that I have contributed nothing to the server; that was one of the examples I gave as to why I had.

rcsAlex wrote:Hey guys. I have been on the server for approximatively 5 or 6 months. I have not donated (due to money being tight) and I have not been too active as of late.

I have no quarlls (sp?) against any of the mods or admins and for the most part I support why there people are mods / admin.

My issue is, the mods / admins now outnumber the "regulars" on the server. As I am not a doner (sp?) at any given point in time I cannot access the server due to the mods / admins getting reserved spots.

IMO there are too many mods and admins, at the newly promoted mods should not be mods, due to just having too many members.
    We have 7 admins and ticktack is a pseudo-admin in my eyes, other than the current admins and TT, there should be no promotions unless someone steps down.

Also this is a build server aka make amazing things.

I believe if a trusted member needs a lot of a low value item for a large project then an admin or mod should help them by spawning some of the item.
    With this i mean basically wood and smooth stone only.
    This solves the problem of promoting a member to mod so that an admin / mod doesn't have to bother with helping them. Also, this makes it so users cannot abuse this and sell all the items for a lot of money.

Maybe adding a /kit smoothstone and a /kit wood would help, and then make the items worth 0 in the shop.

Just my 2 cents

Perfect example of why promotions shouldn't be donor-only. Using that rule, Alex is immediately out of the running, even though he may deserve it. (As an example)

It is an obvious problem that we have too high of an "in-power:default" ratio.

Having admins/mods just give out low-value items would only give the admins/mods more work, and it doesn't solve anything.

Making stone and wood kits and eliminating the value of these items in shop would be a problem because mining and tree-cutting are a profitable business. I've made thousands off tree-cutting and continue to make money off of it. Making these items worthless does nothing but damage.

rcsAlex
    Slave

Post  rcsAlex on Sun May 22, 2011 5:00 am

Having admins/mods just give out low-value items would only give the admins/mods more work, and it doesn't solve anything.

Making stone and wood kits and eliminating the value of these items in shop would be a problem because mining and tree-cutting are a profitable business. I've made thousands off tree-cutting and continue to make money off of it. Making these items worthless does nothing but damage.

^^^^^ Just a suggestion. There would be a fix to this issue and obviously this is not it, but its just to get people thinking.

xxg1antxx
    Man

Post  xxg1antxx on Sun May 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Here are the facts,

Queepo only one with any power since it is his server the rest of us regular privileges.

This would avoid all the bickering and adolescent behavior and futile threads such as this one.
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Sun May 22, 2011 5:24 pm

xxg1antxx wrote:Here are the facts,

Queepo only one with any power since it is his server the rest of us regular privileges.

This would avoid all the bickering and adolescent behavior and futile threads such as this one.

The main problem I see with this solution is that we need moderators and/or admins who can actually be on at different times in the day. As far as I'm aware, Queepo (for all of his awesomeness) isn't some kind of social-life-less deity: he can't always be on to solve our problems and we would be incredibly selfish to expect him to. If we work out the promotions so that we have a few -may I add trustworthy people- from the more 'uncommon' countries (aka countries with different time-zones than America/Canada and Britain) then we can ensure that if at least there isn't someone on to deal with problems immediately, someone will be coming within a very short period of time to help.

Take a hypothetical situation, perhaps a user using offensive and/or racist language in the chat: what if there is no moderator/admin on? Will the players have to wait until a certain timezone awakens or comes home from wherever to solve the problem? I know that a lot of the time I'm on there are no moderators or admins: heck with my recently limited access I haven't seen some of them in ages.

At any rate I encourage the regular users to attempt solving their smaller problems themselves instead of dumping them on the staff: maybe then they won't feel the need to promote more people and therefore end up with this whole situation.

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Sun May 22, 2011 11:35 pm

Not really a fact, considering that isn't how it is.

As Tariss said, we need different admins on in different time zones.

AdvancedNoob
    Man

Post  AdvancedNoob on Mon May 23, 2011 1:12 am

Nbord wrote:

Not really a fact, considering that isn't how it is.

As Tariss said, we need different admins on in different time zones.

this does not mean that all donors could be an admin. And the funny thing is that beef or other admins probably never told queepo this. When bondsy was made a mod. Queepo only saw him as one and had to get off. Before he got off, he said "if you knew that beef did not speak with me, then why are u still a mod?"

And i am sure that we don't need more mods than regulars on at the same time the most of the times i got on. it is very chaotic.

nbord. so you are implying that some of the donors remain as a mod? if so, who?

(this is only my opinion: maby they could get more donors if all donors have a chance to become a mod?)

also, if we really need more admins to be on at different time zones, couldn't queepo have easily chose 1 or 2 trusted player that play frequently and live in different time zone? I do not think all this is necessary.

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Mon May 23, 2011 8:31 am

AdvancedNoob wrote:this does not mean that all donors could be an admin. And the funny thing is that beef or other admins probably never told queepo this. When bondsy was made a mod. Queepo only saw him as one and had to get off. Before he got off, he said "if you knew that beef did not speak with me, then why are u still a mod?"

The donors have become mods, not admins. ./technicality

What Queepo said did not make any sense. Bondsy did not chose to be a mod, so he can't magically force himself to stop being one.

AdvancedNoob wrote:And i am sure that we don't need more mods than regulars on at the same time the most of the times i got on. it is very chaotic.

Agreed on this. It is an obvious problem that we often have more admins/mods than regular members online.

AdvancedNoob wrote:nbord. so you are implying that some of the donors remain as a mod? if so, who?

Yes, Bondsy, and perhaps me (though, once again, I will not push one way or the other because I would be biased).

AdvancedNoob wrote:(this is only my opinion: maby they could get more donors if all donors have a chance to become a mod?)

Then that's just buying a promotion, which I don't think is fair to the people, such as you, who cannot - for whatever reason - donate.

AdvancedNoob wrote:also, if we really need more admins to be on at different time zones, couldn't queepo have easily chose 1 or 2 trusted player that play frequently and live in different time zone? I do not think all this is necessary.

Yes, he could. But what members can you think of that are active on different time zones? [Pre-post edit: That...didn't make sense. How would you know if they are on if you never see them xD]
    xxg1antxx
    Man

Post  xxg1antxx on Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 am

FYI Nbord you are taking all of this way to seriously and need to chill the fuck out.
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Mon May 23, 2011 3:22 pm

xxg1antxx wrote:FYI Nbord you are taking all of this way to seriously and need to chill the fuck out.

Calm down and please stick to the topic. I know this is a frustrating subject at times but it's still a valid one and swearing won't make things better.

Why don't we just ask the admins about their reasoning for this? Specifically. It would sure help clear some things up a little :)

Nbord
    Man

Post  Nbord on Tue May 24, 2011 12:42 am

xxg1antxx wrote:FYI Nbord you are taking all of this way to seriously and need to chill the fuck out.

...lol. Love you too. I also love your sense of logic - it's like saying "STOP F* SWEARING!"

Oh, and XScopeX is now a mod.
    Burly
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Burly on Tue May 24, 2011 9:46 am

Sorry guys, not reading this gigantic fucking text wall. I just wanted to tell you guys to chill out and enjoy the server, the mod rank is going to be changed to "trusted" eventually, we just havent renamed it.

Take a deep breath. bounce

AdvancedNoob
    Man

Post  AdvancedNoob on Tue May 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Nbord wrote:
    AdvancedNoob wrote:this does not mean that all donors could be an admin. And the funny thing is that beef or other admins probably never told queepo this. When bondsy was made a mod. Queepo only saw him as one and had to get off. Before he got off, he said "if you knew that beef did not speak with me, then why are u still a mod?"

The donors have become mods, not admins. ./technicality

What Queepo said did not make any sense. Bondsy did not chose to be a mod, so he can't magically force himself to stop being one.

i meant mod.

He could have told any admin or beef that he does not want to be a mod. im sure they would remove him from it.

Nbord wrote:
    AdvancedNoob wrote:(this is only my opinion: maby they could get more donors if all donors have a chance to become a mod?)

Then that's just buying a promotion, which I don't think is fair to the people, such as you, who cannot - for whatever reason - donate.

i agree, but my reason is that i am 13 and do not get allowance.

Nbord wrote:
    AdvancedNoob wrote:also, if we really need more admins to be on at different time zones, couldn't queepo have easily chose 1 or 2 trusted player that play frequently and live in different time zone? I do not think all this is necessary.

Yes, he could. But what members can you think of that are active on different time zones? [Pre-post edit: That...didn't make sense. How would you know if they are on if you never see them xD]

It's not me who need to come up with someone that i can trust. its queepo and the other admins that need to find someone that they can trust that lives in a different time zone.
    Queepo can easily see by going to the server history/chat history to evaluate if someone is to be trusted.

But if its only 2 or 3 person that play on this server at the same time in a different time zone, then i really do not see the need for a mod.

AdvancedNoob
    Man

Post  AdvancedNoob on Tue May 24, 2011 1:05 pm

Burly wrote:Sorry guys, not reading this gigantic fucking text wall. I just wanted to tell you guys to chill out and enjoy the server, the mod rank is going to be changed to "trusted" eventually, we just havent renamed it.

Take a deep breath. bounce

that is only a name burly, its what they can do that we are talking about.

if trusted can not do anything beside the new name, then its only a time issue(most of the times)

if they can spawn item, then there is the issue of ranking on the ./money top. since they might sell the items that they spawn

also. is all donors going to be "trusted"? or the ones that is actually to be trusted? geek
    Tariss
    Man

Post  Tariss on Tue May 24, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks for clarifying Burly.

@AdvancedNoob: Yes it's a concern about spawning versus iConomy rankings, but if these people are trusted, can't we trust them not to abuse this? Where's the fun in gaining heaps of money if you don't earn it?

Honestly, I support this move. It gives people a greater incentive to really become part of the community -to chat and help others- and it shows new people who to turn to when they need help.
    Queepo
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Queepo on Tue May 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Can I ask someone to quickly tell me what the problem is? I was in no way involved in the modding of these players but I am not understand why this thread was made. Certain trusted donors have been made mods. While I also don't know why we did this so suddenly but w/e it happened. We now have mods in both the UK and in Australia. Hurray! I really think everyone should just calm down and enjoy the server.

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue May 24, 2011 3:20 pm

+1 to queepos response, its an 8bit game people. who the fuck cares.... just come on, build, enjoy the company and have fun.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 pm